Thursday 8 October 2009

The Tory Party: Not My Choice

Disclosure: I'm a Liberal Democrat (American readers will read that somewhat wrongly I suspect!). As someone who considers himself a libertarian I believe the Lib Dems are the closest fit for my political beliefs, and whilst I don't subscribe to all their policies I would be very happy to see a Lib Dem Government.

I've hated the Tories pretty much all my adult life, a consequence I suspect of being a child of Thatcher's Britain and being gay. Also I think that the fact that the most important "issue" to me is not healthcare or the economy but basic human liberty means a vote for the Tories is not something I would ever consider. But New Labour's erosion of those very human liberties, among many other failings, has made me a little more sympathetic to the Conservative Party. But still... this conference has reinforced why I, personally, could never bring myself to vote Tory.

Some articles that really sum up why I will stick with the Lib Dems, thank you very much, include:

We have been warned: the nasty party is still with us - Guardian

Cameron praises civil partnerships but prepares to put Iain Duncan Smith in charge of families - Pink News. Don't get me started on the lack of support for marriage equality.

Cameron’s speech: hollow and hypocritical - Liberal Conspiracy.

Biased sources? NEVER! ;)

This blogger works for nothing but the joy of writing but always appreciates things bought from his wishlist

No comments: