Sunday 18 October 2009

Jan Moir: 48 Hours Later

When you spend time reading GLBT related news stories, you become somewhat immune to the bile and filth that spews from the bigoted and homophobic from around the world. So the real surprise I got from the Jan Moir/Twitter controversy of the last few days is this: How do people not realise this is just your run of the mill tabloid stuff?

That might sound very blasé about a something so nasty as her piece on Stephen Gately. But it's true. The Daily Mail, the Express, The Sun/NotW and the others all print this sort of stuff daily. Has no one heard of the ever quotable Richard Littlejohn?

I've spent much of my life moaning at people who read tabloids, and being accused of snobbery. But it's not snobbery... it's just I can't stand people propping up the careers of these regressive people. Just take a look at a few examples of the sort of things these folks put out there here, here and here.

So really, whilst I appreciate the strength of feeling over Jan Moir, I think it's a little over the top to be directing so much hate just at her. She is just part of a backward system, a symptom of the underlying problem in our media. The entire culture needs to change, but I see no way of doing that which at the same time maintains my liberal "say what you like and be damned" feelings. And I sort of agree with this article which points out the illiberal nature of much of vile comments being flung Jan Moir's way.

There has got to be a better way of doing things? There's got to be something we can do to rechannel all the Jan Moir hating into something more positive. Personally I think simply boycotting the tabloids and those who advertise in them is probably the best we can do. But then again... I already do the first part, and much of the second, anyway. It's a dilemma.

P.S. I wish people would remember Civil Partnerships are not Gay Marriage. We still have a way to go before we get marriage equality I'm afraid but I will be attending a Top Secret protest somewhere at some point soon in support of the principle of marriage equality... for straight people! Watch this space.

This blogger works for nothing but the joy of writing but always appreciates things bought from his wishlist

1 comment:

Lisa Ansell said...

THanks for linking to my blog article. I agree, as you can probably guess, wholeheartedly. I just dont see why a newspaper gets away with consistently being so hateful, to everyone.