Friday 31 October 2008

This Blog Goes For: Barack Obama

*These are the ramblings of an interested Brit, who has no influence over the American election. My interest in the election stems from my love of America, so please do not be offended if you think I'm talking out of turn*

At the start of the campaign I'm going to admit; I was torn. I was a Hilary supporter originally, feeling she would make an excellent President, and thus was disappointed when Obama won the nomination. I felt that McCain offered the chance of a real change from the current GOP policy, thanks mainly to his previous conciliatory cross-partisan activities.

However Obama has shown himself to be a skilled orator, worthy of a position among the great American orators of history, which McCain has sold out his moderate, sensible principles and brought a VP candidate onto his ticket who represents the worst of America; the greed, the ignorance and the meanness that has been the calling card of the last 8 years of a Republican administration.

So I am looking forward to the distinct possibility of seeing Barack Obama take the Presidency and return America back to it's pre-Bush peace and prosperity.

However my support is lukewarm. Barack Obama has always struck me as someone who is too willing to cosy up to religious figures with questionable morals and his lukewarm support of gay rights disturbs me too. Just see the quote below.

"Giving them a set of basic rights would allow them to experience their relationship and live their lives in a way that doesn't cause discrimination," Obama said. "I think it is the right balance to strike in this society."


What's wrong with that? "Basic rights". Oh, because we are attracted to people of the same sex we don't get full rights but we should all be pleased that our heterosexual overlords deem us worthy of at least basic rights. It's condescending. The LGBT folks of America are born with full rights, and it is the homophobic Government that have removed those rights to live as they wish. Don't pretend that when gay people gain rights they are somehow getting them. They are not. They are finally taking them back after years of having them denied. It's subtle difference, but it's also an important one.*

*My views on marriage are a little more complicated. I'm a libertarian and believe Governments have no rights to decide what is and is not a marriage. Nor should they offer special rights or privileges to couples or those who are married. That is social engineering. So I stand aside from the gay marriage debate and await the more correct "marriage debate" calling for freedom for heterosexuals from Government intrusion as well as the LGBT community.

But anyway I got sidetracked.. go Obama!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The gay marriage issues isn't about special rights, it's about equal rights. That it has been framed as "special rights" is reprehensible.

And while state's rights should count more than Federal ones, there should be safeguards in place at the Federal level in order to eliminate discriminatory practices. Otherwise we should stop calling ourselves the United States.