Sunday 18 July 2010

Burka ban ruled out by immigration minister

Despite my misgivings about the Coalition, I have to say they keep saying a lot of nice things about civil liberties (except on the 28 day detention extension, which makes me quite angry). Damian Green has made clear the Government's stance on any proposed ban of the burqa:

“I stand personally on the feeling that telling people what they can and can’t wear, if they’re just walking down the street, is a rather un-British thing to do,” he said. “We’re a tolerant and mutually respectful society.

“There are times, clearly, when you’ve got to be able to identify yourself, and people have got to be able to see your face, but I think it’s very unlikely and it would be undesirable for the British Parliament to try and pass a law dictating what people wore.

Amen to that.

If you feel benevolent and particularly generous, this writer always appreciates things bought for him from his wishlist

No comments: